Friday, February 18, 2005

The Gates

Well, everyone is writing, talking, arguing and blogging about it, so I thought I'd add my voice to the fray. I've been twice to see the Gates, both times via the 90th Street and 5th Avenue entrance to Central Park (closest to my office). The first day was Valentine's Day - it was rainy and gray and I didn't stray too far. The bright color and sheer whimsy of the gates I encountered, set against a backdrop of barren, brown trees, made me realize how perfect it is that these guests are here in our Park in February. Perfect.

I went again yesterday on a sunnier (but 35 degree) day and walked further down along the reservoir to the Metropolitan Museum. There were many, many tourists out strolling, taking pictures, talking in clumps, smiling. I had an I Love NY moment - my first in awhile. An intense pride in this crazy city, a place where crazy artists would deem our park and our people worthy of this tremendous winter gift.

Andres and I plan to go some time this weekend - I'll take and post some pictures.

Meanwhile, here is the official NYC website about the project:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/thegates/html/about.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home