Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October Illness, part two

So the Mets came back on Sunday night to tie the series.....and now the Cards have pulled ahead. The Mets are one game away from elimination.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! I can't take it!

Sascha read my post and sent me a long, commiseratory email. And since he is much more of a sports fan than I am (he actually ran out into the streets of Manhattan to party the night the Mets won the World Series in 1986, whereas I stayed home, jumping up and down in front of the TV) I am going to excerpt it here:

"I'm ill with met's fever too. see, it's a rough life being a dude who likes sports. the mets have let me down my whole life except 1 year. the jets and giants aren't much help. the knicks have never done it in my adult life. and all the while i've had to suffer the humiliation of yankee fans.

anyway, i'm sick with anxiety now. to make it worse, my stupid friend charlie is from st. louis and has been sending me taunting texts after every cardinal victory. i just respond, "you poor guy, there's nothing else to be proud about in st. louis is there?"


in the end, i can't handle the torture so i have to have peace with the mets not making it this year. the loss of pedro and el duque fcuk'd them up and they are a young team not used to playoff pressure. but they're going to be so damn exciting to watch for the next few years i can't wait, especially with me moving back east... we can go see them all the time."

That's the spirit, Sauce!! Thanks for the encouraging words. We'll definitely be going to Shea for many years to come. And enjoy the colorful chanting stylings of the Mets fans, who kept me laughing on Friday in the darkest moments of the game. It was late (8th inning, I think) it was cold, and we were in the upper regions of the stadium feeling sad and lonely. To make matters worse, some of us were hungry and feeling neglected. Because suddenly, could it be? Up here in the nosebleed section? Yes, it was a vendor starting his way up the stairs towards our section peddling hotdogs. The fans let out a spontaneous cheer, because there wasn't anything happening on the field to cheer about:

HOT-dog VEN-dor
clap clap clapclapclap

HOT-dog VEN-dor
clap clap clapclapclap

That's the spirit, Mets fans. Keep it alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home