Friday, October 20, 2006

October Illness, third and final part

It's a gloomy, gloomy day in Metville. When left without words on a depressing and shocking situation in the City, I find it best to leave it to the brilliant headline writers of the NY Daily News to speak for me. The "Met Cemetary" headline of the NY Post was a bit too morbid for my taste.

So, what to say. It was a knuckle-whitening rollercoaster ride this week, what with the Mets come back in Game 6 to tie the series. And a tied Game 7 until the brutal ninth inning. Just too sad. But on the positive side, Endy Chavez most likely made the baseball history annals with this stunning catch in the sixth inning - some people are already calling it the best defensive play in MLB history. Dunno about that, but it's fun to relive it here on YouTube.

Thanks to Lynn (down from Beacon) and Maria (visiting from SF!) I had wonderful company and happy distraction from tearing my hair out during the game. After dinner, they were kind enough to humor me by going to a bar to watch the last 3 innings, where Lynn cheerfully yelled at the umpire's calls and Maria was attentive to my clapping at good moments (and ultimately, most sympathetic to my moaning at the bitter end.) Lynn even shouted at the bartender to turn the TV's off immediately upon the Mets' loss. "There are some people in here who are VERY UPSET BY THIS! TURN IT OFF NOW!" Thank you, Girls. Fox Force Five Forever.

This morning Andres gave me the ultimate compliment. He told me I was a true sports fan, because after having experienced the 86 Series, and a grand 06 season at Shea, now I truly feel the agony of defeat. And then he told me to cheer up because Spring Training is but 4 months away. What optimism! I also received a very sweet condolence message from Uncle Jose. Aw shucks, guys, keep it up and I'll be taking over the remote during baseball season 2007!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home